Some of you will be familiar with the regular monthly flash competitions we hold, inspired by our monthly content themes. We’re offering a special addition to this for May and June, with a new competition inspired by the book, Living Our Dying, and the open and generous work of Dying Matters Awareness Week.
As the description of the books says,
‘Dying is part of life. How we live our dying is fundamentally important. What do we do when someone we know has died? How do we make our own dying part of our lives? Living Our Dying offers a fuller engagement with death, so that life can be rich; it offers ways to engage with pain, fear, anxiety, and loss of dreams. Dying is part of life. How we live our dying is fundamentally important.’
Autumn Voices, in partnership with Playspace Publications and Rymour Books, invites you to submit a Living Our Dying-themed flash memoir:
- Entry is FREE, and, unlike our regular monthly flash competitions, you do not have to be a member of the Autumn Voices website to submit (although we encourage you to join us at no cost).
- Your entry can take the form of poetry, short story or short memoir. The word limit is 500 words, and entries must be submitted on a Word document or within the body of an email. Entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Living Our Dying Competition’ or via the form below and must be received no later than midnight on Thursday, June 30th.
- You must be over 60 to enter and provide us with your name and age.
- Entrants must be prepared for a winning submission to be featured on the Autumn Voices website, along with their details and their headshot/preferred photo.
- Larry Butler and Sheila Templeton will judge the competition and the winner will receive a copy of the book and have the entry published on the Autumn Voices website. A runner up will also have their entry published on the website. The judges’ decision is final.